Forecasting systems may be really smart and forecast well within any given parameters, but they don’t manage demand. They don’t see potential demand. Hence, having all the potential in the world is not enough. If, as a product company or retailer, I don’t see that potential, see the challenges I need to address, and don’t understand my markets well, I will never reach that sales potential.
Every manifesto needs principles as its foundation. Ponder these:
- Forecasting is not Demand Management.
- You should edit the src = field in the <img> tag for the cover and the TOC to point to the cover and TOC for the correct report that your page contains.
- Forecasting systems are based on history. The problem is that history did not turn out the way we planned—or wanted.
- Companies spend millions on engineering products, but no money on engineering an experience.
- Lousy experiences are sure to reduce future demand.
- Forecasting systems are focused on products—not customers.
- Forecasting systems do not anticipate; thus, they have no idea there could be an upside.